top of page

Open Work Permits

An open work permit allows a foreign national to work for different employers in different locations throughout Canada. Open work permits are usually issued through the following programs:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)

  • International Experience Canada (IEC)

  • Inland Spousal or Common-Law Sponsorship

  • Bridging Open Work Permits (BOWP)


Open work permits do not require an LMIA.

Who is eligible

The following foreign nationals may be eligible to apply for an open work permit:

  • Spouses or common-law partners of some temporary foreign workers

  • Spouses or common-law partners of some international students

  • Some international students who have graduated from a designated program of study in Canada

  • Permanent residency applicants who have applied through the inland spousal sponsorship process

  • Some young workers participating in programs offered through International Experience Canada (IEC)

  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members

bottom of page