top of page

Professional & Skilled Workers

Federal Skilled Worker

This program is for people who are selected to immigrate to Canada because of their work experience and skills. All FSW candidates must have a minimum of one year of skilled work experience. Because this program does not require a connection to Canada, it is a good option for foreign nationals living outside of Canada. To be eligible to apply, you must:

  • Have a job offer; or

  • Be eligible to work in Canada; or

  • Be able to prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependents after you arrive in Canada

  • Have at least 1 year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience

  • Meet minimum language levels in English or French

  • Have a post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree

  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

  • Your work experience must be either Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or Skill Level B on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).

  • Your work experience must be paid, full-time or the equivalent hours part-time. Full-time means at least 30 hours per week. You must have had that work experience during the last 10 years.

Federal Skilled Trades

This program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents and are qualified in a skilled trade. Candidates must have at least two years of work experience in a skilled trade obtained within the past 5 years. Candidates must have either an offer of full-time employment for a position lasting at least 12-months or a certificate of qualification in their skilled trade which is issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority. To be eligible, you must:

  • meet the required language levels for each language ability

  • have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply

  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification

  • have a

    • valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or

    • certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority

Canadian Experience Class

This program is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents. Candidates must have at least 12 months of full-time, skilled work experience, completed in Canada within the previous 3 years. To be eligible, you must:

  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability​

  • have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply. The work experience must be:

    • full-time or

    • an equal amount in part-time

  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification, skilled work experience means:

  • managerial jobs (skill level 0)

  • professional jobs (skill type A)

  • technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the National Occupational Classification. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Provincial Nominee Programs for Skilled Workers

Canada’s provinces and territories operate different immigration programs designed to meet their economic and demographic needs. Many of these programs target skilled workers who can fill gaps in provincial and territorial workforces.

Work Permits

Skilled workers who are interested in working in Canada, but are not eligible for an existing immigration program, may be interested in pursuing a temporary work permit to increase their eligibility for permanent residence. To obtain this, candidates require a job offer from a Canadian employer.

bottom of page